Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Jandreams Series For Young Kids!

When I was a young child I was always wondering how things worked in the world around around me. I bugged my parents all the time with questions. They weren't scientists and it wasn't always easy for them to give me a satisfying answer. Now I want to make something that is dedicated to all the curious young kids out there, and to their parents.

I have been wanting to create something fun and "sciency" for little kids for some time, so for the very young and curious set, I have just completed the first of a series of animated science storybooks for the iPad. Written and researched by myself and illustrated with animated paintings by my talented daughter, Joleen, these books are designed to capture the imagination of preschoolers and elementary school age children.

Each averaging about 10 pages long, and filled with rhymed flowing prose and colourful imagery, these stories are designed to be read out loud and enjoyed as a bedtime read. School aged children will also find them easy to read on their own, and they would be perfect for early elementary teachers to use during storytime.

Here is an example of a page in the first book called, "What Is Ice Made Of?"


Jan and her cat Io encounter new adventures in each book as they explore the mysteries of the natural world we live in. These stories are meant to inspire passion and curiosity about our world and our universe. Most importantly, they are at heart stories full of fun and humour, more than any "science" book.

"What Is Ice Made Of?" explores the tiny world of atoms and molecules from the point of view of a child. Three more books in this series are currently in production: Lightning, The Northern Lights, and Black Holes.

Go to jandreams.com and follow the links to the iTunes bookstore to buy your book today. Each book is only $2.99 and available in most countries.

For extra-curious school age children (and their parents!), click on the jandreams.com icons to find a full background exploration of the science behind each page of the book, complete with many illustrations and animations to help you explore the concepts further.

Finally, please contact me by leaving a message on Scientific Explorer or on the jandreams.com Facebook page - you can find my contact info at the back of each book. I look forward to hearing any questions, comments, or requests for new book topics!

Most important of all, have fun exploring - but be careful kids! You might get bitten with the science bug like I did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment